Scavenging

Goodwill pottery.

I haven’t been doing a lot of scavenging lately, but with a second home in the works, I’ve started keeping my eyes open a little wider again. Yesterday I found this pretty piece of pottery at the the Goodwill for $2.99! I love the rich, deep blue of the cross pattern and the all of the crazing in the glaze.

I get asked about this a lot, but I don’t really have any secret tips for good scavenging—it’s just luck of the draw. I check Craigslist regularly (I have a list of keywords that I search for), and every now and then I buy something on eBay, but I don’t do a lot of going to antique or thrift shops. I’m too lazy! I do wholeheartedly recommend the DWR Annex in Secaucus (there are also Annex locations in Palm Springs and Cleveland, which I assume are similar), however, but not during the “sales”. You’ll get a better deal just going there on a regular day. It’s not as busy, there’s more stock, and the salespeople have more time to negotiate on prices.

And the Goodwill! I do love the Goodwill, even though 99% of what’s there is garbage. It’s that remaining 1% that gets me excited.

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

13 Comments

  • Reply the brick house December 24, 2009 at 6:00 pm

    i love a good piece of thrifted pottery – and this one is killer.

    we have a ceramics studio at work and I just started to learn to throw and hand build. it’s totally filthy but very fun. one day I’m hoping to be pretty mediocre but right now, I suck so hard!

    I might steal this little glazing pattern…

  • Reply Patricia Ann December 24, 2009 at 6:18 pm

    It always shocks me when people always manage to find such great items at Goodwill. For some reason, the Goodwill that’s by me is always filled with crap. I can’t even bother to look through the “furniture/household” items since it’s always such a mess and for some reason, always smells like pee. :/ Good find though!

  • Reply Door Sixteen » Goodwill pottery. | Beauty of Ceramics December 24, 2009 at 6:29 pm

    […] Read more here: Door Sixteen » Goodwill pottery. […]

  • Reply Stephanie December 24, 2009 at 6:33 pm

    GREAT find! I don’t have time to thrift shop either- the internet is my vice.

  • Reply Sue December 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm

    Lucky you Anna – I love it! Hope you have a great holiday.
    Sue

  • Reply Elissa December 25, 2009 at 9:08 am

    That vase rocks! I’ve been staying away from thrift stores recently due to lack of space, but I’m planning on having a yard sale in the spring to allow for more goodies. I find the hunt is just as satisfying as actually getting stuff.

    Merry Christmas!

  • Reply kim December 25, 2009 at 10:35 am

    oh, she’s a beauty.

  • Reply veedub December 25, 2009 at 1:15 pm

    Nice find! I’d be curious to know your cl keyword list if you’re up for sharing…

  • Reply michelle December 25, 2009 at 5:30 pm

    great find, indeed.
    merry christmas!
    listening to julpotpurri, danser as i type. thnx. 🙂

  • Reply Juli December 26, 2009 at 3:28 pm

    Jeeze louise, that is a beautiful find! Makes me want to get thrifting again…sigh.

  • Reply Laura December 26, 2009 at 6:21 pm

    good score! merry (belated) christmas, anna!

    love
    laura

  • Reply Mid-Week Mini-Break ix « A Good Look December 30, 2009 at 9:26 am

    […] Door Sixteen: I haven’t been doing a lot of scavenging lately, but with a second home in the works, I’ve started keeping my eyes open a little wider again. Yesterday I found this pretty piece of pottery at the the Goodwill for $2.99! I love the rich, deep blue of the cross pattern and the all of the crazing in the glaze. […]

  • Reply Justin January 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

    Nice find – she’s a beaut!

  • Leave a Comment

    Door Sixteen is a hate-free, drama-free, spam-free zone. Open dialogue is welcome, but comments designed to harm or deceive will be removed.

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.