I know this photo kind of makes the bathroom look like a whitewashed underground bunker, but it does look quite nice in person. From Friday night to Sunday, we sanded all of the wood paneling, smoothed out the plaster on the top of the walls and ceiling, coated everything in primer, and caulked all of the joints/gaps in the woodwork. I am meticulous with caulking, so that alone took me an entire day. (By the way, I swear by Red Devil Painter’s Caulk for surfaces that need to be paintable. Very easy to work with, extremely durable, and paint adheres to it beautifully. When our local paint store stopped carrying it, we ordered an entire case online!)
I called it quits late Sunday afternoon because I was starting to see in triple-vision, and I was dropping things all over the place. We had hoped to get the painting completely done, but we ran out of time.
Here’s what’s left:
→ coat visible knots in wood with shellac spray to prevent bleed-through
→ 2 coats of satin-finish paint (BM Simply White) on all woodwork
→ 2 coats of washable matte paint (color TBD!) on upper walls/ceiling
→ cut and install wood for shelving, determine final color of wood
→ install sconces
→ hang mirror
→ plumbers back on Monday to install sink, toilet, and shower head/faucet
→ caulk tub surround
→ repair rust on tub
→ mount shower curtain rod, hang curtain
→ DONE (minus final details…)
That’s right! SIX DAYS from now, we will have a fully-functional bathroom, WITH A SHOWER.