The tiles are gone. Two layers of sheetrock are gone. Two layers of rotted subflooring are gone. The shelving is gone. The walls are gone, the floors are gone, the toilet and sink are gone. Gone! What’s left is what you see here. (This is where we started.)
Yeah, I guess the original floor isn’t salvageable after all! I had been hoping to find something workable under all of that plywood, but asbestos-laden tar paper and rotted planks go beyond what I’m willing to repair (with good reason). And so, what you see here will be covered with a new plywood subfloor and the matte black pennyrounds I originally planned to use.
(If you’re desperate for demo photos, there are more here!)
I coated the floor with a heavy-duty primer to help prevent scary stuff from getting kicked up while we worked on the new subfloor. Then I dug out the rotted areas and filled them with epoxy.
We also started putting in the new subfloor! It took me an hour of obsessive measuring to do what you see above! I’m not a numbers person, so I have to draw diagrams and over-label everything. We ran the grain perpendicular to the joists, put screws in every 6 inches (avoided the joists, attached the subfloor only to the original one), shimmed the low spot with cedar shakes, and so forth. Neither Evan or I knew anything about any of this until we started doing it, so it’s very exciting to embark on projects with a sense of confidence.
On Friday, the plumbers are coming to do the roughing-in. I can’t believe this is all moving so quickly!