I can’t stop cooking butternut squash and broccoli rabe (aka rapini). I’m obsessed! The combination of flavors is just too perfect this time of year—sweet squash and bitter broccoli rabe compliment each other so well, and both are made even more delicious with copious amounts of garlic.
Butternut Squash (1 squash)
– preheat oven to 400 deg
– cut butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds/pulp
– baste cut sides with olive oil
– sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper
– place squash on foiled-lined baking sheet, cut sides up
– put three cloves of garlic (peeled, whole) in each scooped-out cavity
– bake for 60-70 minutes, depending on size of squash (you might want to baste the squash with olive oil partway through cooking)
– mash garlic cloves into the squash, add a little butter if desired…
Broccoli Rabe (1 bunch)
– wash well & trim thick ends
– boil for 5 minutes in salted water, drain
– saute in olive oil with garlic (2-3 cloves, minced) for 10 minutes
(Serves 2 people quite well!)
This is my favorite time of year for cooking. What have you been eating as the cold weather sets in?